Wednesday 1 June 2011

Littlejohn - Chapter 9


From what I read on Littlejohn &Foss’ book titled “Communication Theories, Theories of Human Communication” chapter 9 (Organization), I am interested in Weber’s theory about bureaucracy which defines an organization is an interpersonal activity system that has a purpose that is designed to balance individual role. This can’t be done without authority, specification, and regulation.

I am interested in this theory because I am doing my internship program in a company and I found that Weber’s theory can be applied in the reality. Every employer in my office has their job desk and responsibility, which refers to their own authority, specification, and regulation.

I take the example from my experience. Last Thursday (9th December 2010), I attended a meeting in my office discussing their evaluation through year 2010. My department, which is Public Relations Department) was evaluated by the member of board. I was very surprised when in my company there is no written policy which explains the authority, specification, and regulation for each employer. For 12 years, every employer does their own authority, specification, and regulation based on what the boss told him/her. Public Relations Department was asked to make a written policy which contains them all, just in case there is a crisis, there is a specific person who allowed to clarify. The same purpose is there is a specific person just in case there is a great publication from the media about any negative things happened to the company.

Due to the example above, I find it interesting when I read Weber’s theory that explains my experience. Weber’s theory tells me the important of exact role and responsibility in those three aspects.

Questions: Do authority, specification, and regulation must be set by Public Relations Department? Based on my experience, are they the content of a company’s policy?


References:
Littlejohn, Stephen W. and Karen A. Foss. Communication Theoris, Theories of Human Communication. Indonesian Edition, 9th Edition. Jakarta: Salemba Humanika, 2009.

No comments: